The Denon Professional DN-500BDMKII Blu-ray disc and media player is a compact, high-performance unit that handles all popular optical video and audio CD playback formats for unrivaled capability from a single disc playback device. This article answers some of the popular questions about the features and functionality of the Denon Professional DN-500BD MKII.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is included in the box?
- What new features does the DN-500 BD MKII offer?
- What is the Hide OSD feature?
- What formats will the DN-500BD MKII play?
- Are the rack ears removable?
- What is the LAN connection for on the DN-500BD MKII?
- What is BD Live?
- What can I do if my image projector is not displaying properly?
- How do you perform a factory reset?
- How do you play files from a USB drive?
- DN-500BD MKII
- Power Cable
- Remote Control
- Rack Ears & Screws
- User Guide
- Safety & Warranty Manual
- Brand new, easy-to-read OLED display
- SD card input on the front
- Ability to hide OSD feature implemented
The Hide OSD feature will remove the disc transport icons (play, pause, stop), Home Screen, and other menu items from appearing on screen.
The Denon Professional DN-500BD MKII will play virtually every Blu-ray, DVD, and audio CD format, making it easy to utilize multiple disc formats within a system. Supported formats include:
- Supported video file formats .3gp, .asf, .avi, .dat, .divx, .mkv, .mov, .mp4, .mpg, .m2ts, .ogm, .rmvb, .tp, .ts, .wmv
- Subtitle formats (for video) .ass, .smi, .srt, .ssa, .sub
- Supported audio file formats .ape, .flac, .m4a (AAC), .mp3, .wav
- Supported picture file formats .gif, .jpg (or .jpeg), .png
- Supported CD Formats: CD-R, CD-RW, DTS Music Disc (DTS Audio CD, 5.1 Music Disc), HDCD, Super Video CD (SVCD), Video CD (VCD)
- Supported DVD Formats: DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW
Yes, the rack ears on the DN-500BD MKII are removable if you wish to not use them.
The network connection on the DN-500BD MKII is for controlling the product remotely with the network connection through the serial protocol and IP communication. Serial command codes can be sent to the DN-500BD MKII via the Ethernet connection as well as through the included built-in RS-232 port. Additionally, when the DN-500BD MKII is connected to the internet, you will have access to BD Live.
BD-Live 2.0 is a standard for Blu-ray players that utilizes your internet connection and allows you to download additional content for your BD-Live movie. To access this function on the DN-500BD MKII follows the steps suggested below.
- BD-Live Network Access: Select the level of access to BD-Live content on the internet: Permitted (you can access all content), Partial Permitted (you can access only certain content), Prohibited (BD-Live content is blocked). DN-500BD MKII must be connected to the internet (via its LAN port) for this feature to work properly.
- BD-Live: These options let you manage where DN-500BD MKII downloads files while accessing BD-Live content if any. Press OK to open a window to configure each option.
- BUDA Setup: This window shows the amount of free space on the selected drive. Press OK to format the drive (this will erase all content on the drive).
- Please select the BUDA mode: Select the drive you want to use to store downloaded BD-Live files: External (a USB drive connected to DN-500BD MKII’s USB port) or Onboard (DN-500BD MKII’s internal memory). Note that you will need a certain amount of free space on the drive to download some content properly.
- Important: Your USB drive must not use an NTFS file system.
DN 500 DB MKII is defaulted to detect the optimal resolution automatically with any display device. You can modify the screen resolution by pressing the HDMI button on the remote. Changing the resolution to 480i/576i, 480p/576p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.
To perform the factory reset on the DN-500BD MKII, you will need the assistance of your remote. On the remote press the SETUP button. In the Device Setup, select the SETTING option. Once you are in this menu, select OK. (that will erase all of the current settings and restore its original/default settings). Press Cancel if you want to keep the current settings on your unit.
To browse your files and play a file from your USB flash drive:
- Gently insert a USB drive to the USB port on the front panel or rear panel. The display will show USB In when DN-500BD MKII recognizes the USB drive.
- Press Home on the remote control to view the Home screen.
- Use the left/right cursor buttons to select Media Center, and then press OK. The Media Center will appear on the screen.
- Do any of the following to navigate within the Media Center:
- Use the up/down cursor buttons to move to the previous/next item in a list.
- Press OK or Play to enter a selected folder.
- Press the left cursor button or return to return to the next-highest folder (one level above the current one). Alternatively, use the up cursor button to move to a folder labeled. at the top of the list, and then press OK or Play.
- Press OK or Play to play a selected file. If you have previously played the file and stopped it before the end, the file will start playing from that point.
- Press Title Popup to view options related to creating a playlist. See Additional Functions (in the manual) to learn about this.
- Press Home to return to the Home screen.
Important: While using the Media Center, you cannot use any buttons (on DN-500BD MKII or the remote control) other than the ones described above.
The HDCP security on the DN-500BDMKII will allow up to 9 simultaneous video displays using an HDMI switcher or splitter.